Friday, January 9, 2015

Christmas and New years

This is Sister Formica's mom.  I just realized I hadn't posted anything to the blog since Dec 15.  We haven't received much via e-mail, but we did get to visit with her on Christmas Eve via Skype!  She looked happy, loves her companion, loves the members and her investigators, and shared a few stories with us.  I'll share my favorite.  To help her think of something to tell us, we asked her to share a small miracle or answer to prayer that she had experienced.  She said: 

"Well, it's a small one, but the other day we really wanted to share an object lesson about priorities with one of our investigators -- the one with the jar, rocks and sand -- if you fill up your day with all the extra things (the sand) then try to shove the essential things in (prayer, scriptures, FHE, church), it doesn't fit.  But if you put the rocks in first, then the sand fills in all the gaps and you can get it all in.  We'd been looking for rocks for a few days, but it's amazing -- there aren't any rocks.  Just a lot of sand.  So that mroning, we prayed that He would help us find some rocks that day.  As we were riding our bikes, we looked in the field next to us and there was one small rock right in the middle.  Then another field had another one.  Soon we had enough rocks to teach the lesson.  So we were so excited.  We rode over to her home, and she wasn't there. But her dad was.  He is a member, but hasn't come in a long time.  He let us share with him the lesson and we all felt the Spirit.  It was great.  

Then Rachel pops up from the couch and said:  "We wanted to do that lesson in England too.  But all we could find were rocks - there wasn't any sand!" 

Sister Formica and her companion are asked to sing a lot together.  They were in the MTC together, then went to Phoenix together, and are now companions, learning together.  Hopefully we'll get a longer letter this weekend that I can share with you all.  She did say something else that I loved.  She said, "I don't know why I was so nervous about coming on a mission.  I am so happy and it is really great!"  That's a good thing for a mom to hear.  
Sunset & speed limit sign = 50 mph

January 4 - short, sweet letter.  After remarking on a few funny things we sent her, she said: 

I have to run, sorry, we had to fill out a survey for a mission tour and it took forever. Everyone is waiting on me (nothing new there).
New years was good! Quick update on some people:

T moved back in with the member family and has expressed a desire to quit smoking and be baptized this year. Her boyfriend came to church this week! He said that he didn't enjoy it, but coming was still a huge step for him. They are taking small steps to get to where the Savior and Heavenly Father want them to be.

Sometimes I am just so full of gratitude for the opportunity I have to be on a mission. I love being here and working with these people to help them return to live with Heavenly Father. I know the person it is helping and strengthening the most however, is me. I love my Savior and am so grateful for His Atonement, and Heavenly Father's plan for us.

I LOVE YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!! Hope you have a wonderful week, and I am legit writing you a long letter this week.  Tell Adam and Mckay I said hi!

LOVE YA!

No comments:

Post a Comment