Sunday, October 4, 2015

Trueshi

I haven't been taking a ton of pictures, but we were weeding in someone's yard and they have 5 pet kangaroos...we were trying to get them to stand up with the camera ha.  
Trushi is our district leaders favourite word ha.  Couldn't think of any aussie words for the week...

Lots has happened this last week, pretty much normal missionary stuff.  This last week we were able to find and teach a lot  more people!  I don't have a ton to share, but it's been so good :)  

We were out running in the morning, and we met this woman from Zimbabwe who invited us to pop by her house sometime.  We did last night and learned that her niece has a lot of questions and confusion about all the different religions and wonders if she's in the right place.  We had to go to an apt, but we are going back tonight to see them :) Such a beautiful family.

We saw the other family where the husband is from North Carolina, and they were just talking about all of these American food places and American things and it made me miss In and Out and CafĂ© Rio!  They have a stash of candy and root beer and what not.  He always says, "We don't smoke, we don't drink, but we eat well."   They are just ready for the gospel!  Just ready and eager to serve.  Earnest (the husband) came to church on Sunday, and really enjoyed the talks and felt a lot of peace there.  Rebekah has a bad back and wasn't feeling well, but hopefully she can come next week with the kids! 

I feel like especially in Northam we meet so many people who have turned to alcohol and drugs and all that junk to deal with pain or loss.  It's so sad to see what they have chosen and how it just makes everything worse.  But there are a few people we've met recently who really want to change.  The Savior Wants to Forgive, 5 minute video

One of them, a young man who has been on drugs and everything for ages came to church on Sunday.  He had to walk there and it took him about 40 minutes.  I know in some places that is nothing, but I haven't ever had an investigator who walked 40 minutes to get to church.  We didn't know he was coming, ... oops, but we got him a ride home.  He really enjoyed it and he said it opened up his mind to a lot of things.  He doesn't know exactly what he believes in right now.

Among the Aboriginal families we've met a lot of grandmas who have partners and kids who aren't religious and want their grandkids to know about Jesus Christ.  A lot of the grandmas have asked us to come teach their grandkids.  And one lady was telling us that most of the Aboriginal people in Northam came from one set of grandparents (I don't know if I explained that well ha but hopefully you know what I mean). So we are getting to know them just from seeing them around town.  The problem is that we see the same people at like 3 different houses and on the street a couple times, and then you have to remember their names and who they are directly related to (there's also a family feud going on).  It's really fun though.  They are a really spiritual people and have a lot of faith.

Oh and I lost my scriptures!!  So sad :( I think I left them when we stopped at the ATM, and someone came up to us and said they saw them and took them into the bank, and there are 4 banks on the main street, and they all said they don't have them.  But I still think they'll come back.  It's too small a town for them not to. And people know us and see us biking around everywhere and it has my name on them.

It's been really good biking everywhere ha--I'm getting a bit of a tan!  Just the opposite of Rach in England ;)

Sister Tukuafu leaves on Tuesday.  I am really not ok with it, I wish she was staying for at least one more.  It's been the best serving with her, she is so calm and funny and hardworking.  I've loved it and I'm not done learning from her. 

As usual I said I didn't have much to write, but then wrote a bit...Just nothing too crazy or exciting I guess.  Oh well. I love you all and I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to serve a mission!  Have a wonderful week!!  Talk to you soon :)

Love,
Sister Formica

No comments:

Post a Comment